Castle Gardens & Woodlands
Please note that these Gardens and woods can be explored only when Highclere Castle is open to the public. For footpaths and other seasonal walks please see the section Walks near Highclere Castle.
To the south east of the Castle lies the Monks' Garden, whose name is derived from the Bishops of Winchester who owned the Estate for 800 years before the Carnarvon family acquired it in 1679. Records in 1218 list 61 fruit trees which were replanted in 1364, when 44 apple and 27 pear trees were planted.
Today it has been changed into a more decorative garden, where climbing roses make a fine show in June above a border with penstemons, agapanthus and geranium. Lavender grows under the walls whilst a glass house is filled with Tea Roses for cutting as well as peaches and nectarines.
There are espaliered medlar and pear trees amongst yew topiary that leads into a splendid White Border Garden.
The White Border
Behind a high yew hedge in the Monks’ Garden lies the White Border, with white roses and clematis scrambling up dark green obelisks, crambe, agapanthus, peonies, hydrangeas, poppies, and other plants providing wonderful foliage throughout much of the year.
The Secret Garden
A gate in the White Garden wall leads into the enchanting Secret Garden with curving herbaceous borders, serpentine paths and riotous displays of colour in July and August.
The Wood of Goodwill
Behind the Secret Garden lies the Wood of Goodwill. A new area to explore, you can find 38 native British trees as well as unusual recently planted beech and oak. In the spring the grassy areas are full of daffodils whilst a newly planted walnut walk leads to a Rose Arbour and Wild Garden. Again the Rose Arbour has only just been created and will develop over the next few years.
A walk up the hill from the Wild Garden takes you past an Etruscan temple on one side, and a wild flower meadow on the other which has delighted visitors in summer months.