Education & School Visits
Highclere Castle is the home of the 8th Earl and Countess of Carnarvon.
In 1922, the 5th Earl of Carnarvon and Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun. Over 5,000 objects, works of art and everyday items were found in the tomb, providing an extraordinary insight into the Ancient Egyptian civilisation.
Educational visits to the Egyptian Exhibition may be arranged outside of normal public opening, subject to availability. These visits are suitable for primary school children in KS2 (7-11 years). Choose from the two options below.
- This option takes approximately 2 hours 15 minutes, including lunch.
- On any one visit, the maximum number of children for Option ONE is 45.
On arrival, the group is divided into 2 or 3 smaller groups depending upon the numbers. It is in the interest of the children that we keep these smaller groups to around 15 as the locations and rooms used cannot accommodate large numbers. Each group, accompanied by an experienced guide, visits the following in turn (for approximately 30 minutes at each venue):
- The Egyptian Antiquities Room - a comprehensive exhibition with exhibits over 3,500 years old.
- A walk around the exterior of the house and to the Secret Garden (weather permitting). If it is raining, we show a DVD about the finding of the tomb of Tutankhamun.
- The Hands-On Room - where children may dress up in replica Egyptian costume and jewellery, handle replica artefacts, draw, stencil and read, build a pyramid, make a cartouche with their name in hieroglyphs and more!
The charge is £5.00 + VAT per child (minimum charge £75.00 + VAT).
- This option takes approximately 3 hours 15 minutes, including lunch.
- The maximum number for Option TWO is 60 children.
In addition to the schedule of Option ONE, the children continue from the Egyptian Antiquities Room on the path to discovery which culminates in a recreation of the treasures of King Tutankhamen found by Lord Carnarvon and Howard Carter.
The charge is £8.00 + VAT per child (minimum charge £120.00 + VAT).
We welcome, free of charge, accompanying adults to fulfil the statutory ratio, normally 1 adult to 10 children.
We also welcome, free of charge, additional adults to accompany children requiring 1 to 1 support. Any such adults should be listed on the booking form.
Any additional adults above these allowances must be by prior agreement and will be charged at the same rate as the children.
For schools wishing to eat a packed lunch during their visit, we are usually able to provide a room.
Small souvenirs can be bought at the end of the tour if requested when booking.
Summary of charges:
Option One: £5.00 + VAT per child (Minimum charge £75.00 + VAT).
Option Two: £8.00 + VAT per child (Minimum charge £120.00 + VAT).
Payment may be made on the day or schools may be invoiced after the event. Cheques should be made payable to 'Highclere Enterprises LLP'. The Exhibition is available to schools Monday to Friday in term time, subject to availability.
Highclere Castle provides its own risk assessment for school visits.
To book, or for more information, please call (01635) 253210 or email [email protected].
Teachers who have not been before may arrange a preliminary visit, subject to availability.
For more information about Egypt at Highclere, Lady Carnarvon's book is available at the Highclere Castle gift shop.