Education & School Visits
Highclere Castle is the home of the 8th Earl and Countess of Carnarvon.
In 1922 the 5th Earl of Carnarvon and Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun. Over 5,000 objects, works of art and everyday items were found in the tomb, providing an extraordinary insight into the Ancient Egyptian civilisation.
Educational visits to the Egyptian Exhibition may be arranged outside of normal public opening, subject to availability. These visits are suitable for Primary school children KS 2 (7-11 years)
Two different options are available for these educational visits:
- This option takes approximately 2 hours 15 minutes including lunch
- On any one visit, the maximum number of children for Option ONE is 45
On arrival the children are divided into 2, or 3 smaller groups depending upon the numbers. It is in the interest of the children that we keep these smaller groups to around 15 as neither the Exhibition nor the “hands on room” room can accommodate large numbers. Each group, accompanied by an experienced guide, visits in turn (for approximately 30 minutes at each venue) the following:
- The Egyptian antiquities room - a comprehensive exhibition with exhibits over 3,500 years old.
- A walk around the exterior of the house and to the Secret Garden (weather permitting). If it is raining we show a DVD about the finding of the tomb of Tutankhamun.
- The "Hands On" room where children may dress up in replica Egyptian costume and jewellery, handle replica artefacts, draw, do stencils, read, build a pyramid, make a cartouche with their name in hieroglyphs etc.
The charge is £5.00 + VAT per child with 1 adult to 10 children free.
- This option takes approximately 3 hours 15 minutes including lunch
- The maximum number for Option TWO is 60 children
In addition to the schedule of Option A, the children continue from the Antiquities Room on the path to discovery which culminates in a recreation of the treasures found by Lord Carnarvon and Howard Carter.
The charge is £8.00 + VAT per child with 1 adult to 10 children free
For schools wishing to eat a packed lunch during their visit we are usually able to provide a room.
Small souvenirs can be bought at the end of the tour if requested when booking
Summary of charges:
Option One: £5.00 + VAT p.p (Minimum charge £75.00 + VAT).
Option Two: £8.00 + VAT p.p (Minimum charge £120.00 + VAT).
We welcome, free of charge, accompanying adults to fulfil the statutory ratio;
Normally: 1 adult – 10 children .
We also welcome, free of charge, additional adults to accompany children requiring 1-2-1 support; these adults should be listed on the booking form.
**Any additional adults above this number must be by prior agreement and will be charged at the same rate as the children.
On the day or schools may be invoiced after the event. (Cheques should be made payable to “Highclere Enterprises LLP”). The Exhibition is available to schools Monday to Friday in term time subject to availability.
Contact Margery Goldsmith:
01635 253210; [email protected]
Highclere Castle provides its own risk assessment for school visits.
Teachers who have not been before may arrange a preliminary visit, subject to availability.