Job Opportunities - Highclere Castle Gardens
Assistant Gardener Required
Highclere Castle needs a gardener with an interest and enthusiasm for gardening and horticulture to join our gardens team, caring for circa 50 acres. This is an excellent opportunity for someone to develop their skills in a prestigious location looking after traditional and seasonal garden borders, a large area of wild woodland garden and wild flower meadow. There is also the opportunity to learn glasshouse skills for indoor plants as well as some fruits and vines.
Highclere Castle is a well known heritage property which attracts thousands of visitors a year many of whom visit our beautiful gardens. The successful candidate would have some experience working with annual and perennial plants, and dealing with the seasonal management of a garden but also have an interest in how a garden develops in a heritage environment and be happy to be working around visitors when the Castle is open.
This is a hands-on position involving the digging and preparing of garden borders and the woodland garden as well as working with potted plants in greenhouses and also dealing with mowing lawns and preparation of plants and displays for events within the castle.
The position is full time with some occasional weekend work to ensure watering in the glass houses.
Reference ID: HCGardensMarch2021
Expected start date: 19/04/2021
Related keywords: gardener, gardening, grounds maintenance
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £18,000 -£22,000 per year
- Company pension
- Professional Development through training courses and certificates
- 8 hour shifts
- Monday to Friday
- Occasional Weekends as required by rota
Experience / Skills:
- Gardening & Horticultural experience: 1+ years (preferred) knowledge and understanding at both theoretical and practical level.
- You will be a good team worker who is enthusiastic and interested in plants, lawn care, pruning, propagation and machinery. You will have excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Driving License (preferred)
- Training Certificates (chainsaw, spraying etc.) ideally but training will be provided.
- Covid-19 protective measures are in force in the Castle and gardens. The gardens team mostly work outside, but are made aware of Covid-19 protocols as part of their Health & Safety training
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitisation, disinfection or cleaning procedures in place
To apply for this role please send a covering letter and CV to: [email protected]